Tuesday, July 24, 2007

And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street

I don't know that there are any Mulberry Streets between here and my place of employment. But I keep seeing things that strike me as odd or funny in transit these days, and the name seems to be a good one for the Tales of the Daily Commute matrix.

Today, on said commute, I ended up spending part of it behind a Carvel ice cream truck. (Not the kind from which a vendor sells ice cream cones, but one which presumably transports their ice cream and ice cream cakes.) It was an appropriately cheery-looking truck, entirely plastered over with photos of ice cream cakes, decorated with various congratulatory sayings.

The most eye-catching one from my vantage point said, "Happy 1st Lost Tooth!"

I was first struck by the originality of this. If you can convince someone to buy a whole cake instead of putting a quarter under their kid's pillow, you're golden. But so might the teeth be after a while. I couldn't help but find something ironically sinister about the whole enterprise. This greeting was being displayed on an ice cream cake. Ice cream. Cake. It felt like the subtext should be, "You might as well celebrate now, because you'll be losing a lot more teeth if you keep eating cakes like this one!"

Just as long as no one tries to put the cake under a pillow . . .

2 comments:

kristin said...

HELLO JENN.

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THE COMMENT WAS GOING TO POST TO YOUR BLOG. I AM GLAD YOUR HAVING A GOOD COUPLE OF DAYS, AND YOU ARE VERY OBSERVANT.TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF KRISTIN

Jennwith2ns said...

Kristin! You made it! Which is a good thing, because I haven't see you at the bux in a couple of days. Hope you're doing well. And beware the ice cream cakes.