Monday, October 08, 2007

Drought

Who knew drought conditions were conducive to great autumn foliage?

Well, I'm sure the people who look into these things did, but I am not much of a researcher, so I have to find out most things by experience. My experience right now is that I don't believe I have ever seen more brilliant colours on our trees around here at this time of year. Seriously, there's a tree on the way to work which I'm pretty sure has always turned yellow at this time of year, but this year it's scarlet. And it's not even peak season yet. And our trees are famous.

I think you (or at least I) might be able to draw some analogies about beauty coming after or through drought. But I don't feel there's any need to hammer the point home.

There's no way photos will do justice what I'm talking about. But disclaimers and analogies aside, here, still are more reasons to love trees:

Photos by jennw2ns, 2007. I think you can tell which ones I photo-enhanced. But I don't think it means I'm lying. I was just trying to get to the colour I'm actually seeing around here.

6 comments:

Annelise said...

Nice to see some New England colour, even if it's only through photos! Yesterday we actually noticed a bit of colour along the motorway--more colour than we've seen in Ireland before....

GreekGeek said...

Upon having a bad, or at least stressful, 24hrs in anticipation of potentially receiving some frustrating and stressful news (yes, I know I shouldn't stress _before_ I even hear anything!), I needed this line: 'I think you (or at least I) might be able to draw some analogies about beauty coming after or through drought.' God and I don't see eye to eye on that, but, perhaps I needed to hear that line before today (may) implode(s). thanks... =}

Craver Vii said...

Pay no attention to those trees; they're just showing off.

Jenn said...

These are amazing. I miss watching the seasons change!

Lara said...

I've always wondered prior to Fall what the Summer season would do to the colors, but I just naturally assumed drought would equal less color.

I'm enjoying the trees here, but in the Land of Flat there aren't any particularly great viewing points. New England in Fall though? (Sighing). Wish I could be there.

Jennwith2ns said...

Mom--cool. I'd send you some leaves if I thought they'd look anything like they did when they left here!

Greekgeek--I feel a little concerned about you. I hope everything's okay. I hope you didn't implode . . .

Craver--you're just jealous.

Jenn--maybe you don't need to go to Canada. We have seminaries here, too, you know!

AMM--you should come! I have this great big house all to myself . . .