Monday, July 21, 2008

Apparently, My Niece Is a Girl After My Own Heart

When I was two, my parents made an audio cassette of me opening presents. (This was because we didn't have anything more technologically advanced, and we were living in Honduras at the time, and they wanted my grandparents to be able to "hear" our Christmas.) Fortunately I was a highly verbal two-year-old.

After some paper-crinkling and discussion of what I was opening, my mother said, "Jennie, would you like to open some more presents, or read some of your new books?"

Without a moment's hesitation I said, "Read books."

There you have it, folks. It looks like Hannah is heading in the same direction . . .

1 comment:

jasdye said...

you know what's wonderful for little ones (especially as she gets older and can begin to manipulate larger objects)? the Peekaboo books. they combine the cardboard, tough-to-destroy (although, as we're finding out, destroyable nonetheless) pages with touch-and-feel material (felt, 'hair', et al). and the baby can open the pages and lift the flaps. and, heck, it's peekaboo!

my mother just gave us $20 for joss's birthday. i'm going to order more of these books with it.