Monday, August 24, 2009

The Vet

I think I've become the kind of pet owner vets hate.

At the beginning of day camp, Oscar got sick. We shall not go into details. But it was a little extreme, and he had been sick the week before, so I called the vet. Actually twice. They gave me some tips and told me if he didn't improve, he'd need to "be seen."

Well, he improved, but when we returned from camp, he was flealess but itching like crazy, his ears were bothering him, and . . . other stuff. So I called again and they told me I should probably bring him in and get him checked out.

Today was the appointment in question, so I left work early. But I took a wrong turn (no excuse for this . . . but I did it) and then got stuck in traffic, so I ended up being about 15 minutes late. Oscar was pretty well behaved in his examination, but he didn't actually have much wrong with him, and then as I was getting ready to pay, he let loose all over the floor. Granted, it was that time of day, I guess, but he doesn't really do that anymore, and it was embarrassing.

The vets were gracious but seemed less than overjoyed, kind of like the other pet owners whose appointments were a little bit delayed because of us. But the vets shouldn't dislike us that much. I mean, I paid 'em.

I thought hypochondria only applied to onesself . . .

1 comment:

K. said...

Hi Jenn,

I don't know how things work in America, obviously, but they should actually love you. I mean, you are their income, aren't you. About cleaning up, your Oscar is most probably not the first or the last dog it happened to, they are used to it. They don't have to be happy about it, but it's not a big deal. If they made you feel like it is, maybe change vets? Also about the coming late - here in Israel it is very common to be delayed (more because of people who show up without an appointment or with an emergency, maybe). When I go to the vet I try to be on time but I know my appointment will be late and the whole visit will probably take twice as long as it should. Anyone can be in traffic jams etc. Did you call?

For the first few times I had to go to a vet in Israel I went to one that always made me feel I didn't know the first thing about taking care of animals. I heard only afterwards that she has that effect on everybody. For some reason I had to find a new vet. I found a clinic with two young vets and they are very nice and laid back and never make me feel bad when I come when maybe it was superfluous. After all those years of having animals I still do that, too. I feel bad anyway for spending money for nothing, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Btw did they give you an idea what happened to him? I would go to the vet too, with the itching etc., it doesn't sound good.